Bio and CV of Stefanie Koscher
Stefanie Koscher is an Austrian born musician and multimedia artist currently based in Vienna. Coming from a performing arts and stage background, she worked in theaters such as The Public NYC, Staatsoper unter den Linden Berlin, Burgtheater Vienna, Bushwick Starr Brooklyn, assisting Andrea Breth, the Nature Theater of Oklahoma, the Elevator Repair Service NYC amongst others.
Next to performing music with bands and solo, as well as occasional DJ gigs, she creates digital and analog multimedia artworks, that concentrate on the performative. Her transmedial concepts are often supported by and expressed through video and digital media. Transformatory processes of the human psyche in a post-virtual age have constituted an important focal point in her work. While living in NYC with occasional stays in Berlin from 2009-2013, she started developing a virtual performative persona called Steffko - Die Kunst #1 (short: #SDK1), who is the protagonist of most of her new media pieces.
She also creates analog artwork, such as collages and mixed media works.
She performed and exhibited at PS122 Manhattan, Museo el Barrio NYC, Bushwick Open Studios Seeking Space, Envoy Art Space Manhattan, Take Festival Vienna, Tanzquartier Vienna and more.
SOLO EXHIBITIONS / PERFORMANCES
- Home is where the Heart is pt.1. Transmedia long durational performance. 365 #1 Festival MASC Foundation Vienna.
- The Life and Death of Steffko - Die Kunst #1. Solo exhibition and performance. AA Collections Vienna.
- Steffko - Die Kunst #1: Nomophobia. Live solo Performance. Bizarre Bushwick, Brooklyn NY.
- iSolation 3.0. Long durational solo performance. Kubus Export Vienna.
GROUP EXHIBITIONS / COLLABORATIONS
- MACTN. Group Exhibition AA Collections Vienna.
- Landscapes of Desire. Group Exhibition curated by Pornfilmfestival Vienna and Dessous Vienna.
- The Live and Death of SDK#1. Video Installation in collaboration with fashion label Volgger Studio. TAKE Festival for Independent Fashion and Arts Vienna, Alte Post Vienna.
- 5 Years AA Collection. Group exhibition. AA Collection Vienna.
- rigrivis.com launch. Opening exhibition and launch of virtual gallery Rina Grinn Virtual Space. AA Collections Vienna.
- Ideology by Zoe de Witt. Collaborator. Mandelkern Project Vienna.
- GIRLS. Group exhibition. Dessous Vienna.
- Ich komme aus meiner Mutter. Group exhibition curated by Osama Zatar and Adam Cohen.
- Gallery in Residence. Group exhibition curated by Lust Gallery Vienna, Schneiderei Vienna and die Angewandte.
- ArtUnanchored Festival. Festival for contemporary art and music Vienna/Bratislava.
- Anaconda Boy and the Combo from Bangladesh. Performance in Collaboration with Elisabeth Ward, Anne- Sophie Wass and Marcos Rondon. Tanzquartier Vienna.
- Bushwick Open Studios - Seeking Space. Selected video artist at opening event and group exhibition. 3rd Ward Brooklyn, NY.
- Women Without Borders. Group performance. Fitness Brooklyn.
- Acción Actual. Performance with Gypsy Joe, Rafael Sanchez, Kathleen White, Tavish Millmund, Stefanie Koscher, Stephanie Sphar, Rocío Aranda-Alvarado, Elvis G., Fuentes Rodríguez, Trinidad Fombella, Suzy Delvalle. El Museo del Barrio, NYC.
- Slobbersville. Performance. Goodbye Blue Mondays, Brooklyn, NY.
Koscher - Inside Out. A live album.
Limited edition audio cassette tape and digital release. Self-release Sept. 21st 2018.
- Rudi Cotroneo - Lost Lands. 365 #1 Festival at MASC Foundation Vienna.
- Osama Zatar - Werkschau. 365 #1 Festival at MASC Foundation Vienna.
- HUMAN NATURE: Paul Perrier, Elisabeth Ward, Oksana Zmiyevska. Group exhibition and performance. 365 #1 Festival at AA Collections Vienna.
- M. Lamar. Vienna Art Week at mo.ë Vienna.
AS A PERFORMER / APPEARANCES
- The Sound of Alicia Edelweiss. Documentary (AUT 2018) directed by Wolf Morrison. Herself.
- Grind. Independent musical short (US 2014). Directed by Zachary Halley starring Anthony Rapp, Claire Coffee, Pasha Pelloise. Actor.
- Warriors. Musicvideo for Joyce Muniz feat. Kiki. Performer, Director. Exploited Records.
- Crime or Emergency by Sibyl Kempson. Performer. PS122, NYC.
- Der Ubu Komplex by David Mayaan. Performer. Schauspielhaus Wien.
- Familientisch - Wiedersehen macht Freude by David Mayaan. Performer. Wiener Festwochen.
- Director. Yolo Gilgamesh! Folk rock musical by Phoebe Kreutz. Bathaus Brooklyn.
- Director, composer. Tonkinder. An Avant-Punk musical by Stefanie Koscher. klagenfurter ensemble.
2013 / 2012
- Backoffice assistant, production assistant. Bushwick Starr Brooklyn.
- Director’s assistant. Lulu by Alban Berg. Directed by Andrea Breth. Musical director: Daniel Barenboim. Staatsoper im Schillertheater Berlin.
- Production assistant. Elevator Repair Service NYC.
- Assistant, stage hand. Von Mac - Pocahontas. Little Lord Theater Company NYC.
2012 / 2011
- Production assistant, supertitles. Life and Times Episode 3. Nature Theater of Oklahoma NYC in cooperation with Burgtheater Vienna.
- Production coordinator. Werk-X Wien.
- Production assistant, supertitles. Life and Times Episode 2. Nature Theater of Oklahoma NYC in cooperation with Burgtheater Vienna.
2010 / 2009
- Directors’ assistant, supertitles. Life and Times Episode 1. Nature Theater of Oklahoma NYC in cooperation with Burgtheater Vienna, Theatertreffen Berlin 2010.
- Performer. Crime or Emergency by Sibyl Kempson. PS 122 New York.
2009 / 2008
- Stage design assistant, props. Die Glocken von Innsbruck läuten den Sonntag ein by Händl Klaus, directed by Ruedi Häusermann. Burgtheater Vienna.
- Production manager to Austrian multimedia artist and director Gerhard Fresacher.
2008 / 2007
- Production assistant. Drama-X Theater Festival Vienna.
- Production assistant / performer. Ubu-Komplex directed by David Mayaan. Schauspielhaus Vienna in cooperation with the Max Reinhardt Seminar Vienna.
- Assistant director. The Family Table by David Mayaan. Schauspielhaus Vienna as part of the Wiener Festwochen.
- Assistant director. Tryptichon by Gerhard Schedl. Opera-production Neue Open Wien. Directed by Johannes Erath.
- Conductor’s assistant to Serdar Yalcin (musical director Istanbul State Opera). Saray - Mozart alla Turca. Directed by Ibrahim Quraishi. Wiener Mozartjahr, Schauspielhaus Vienna.
Koscher, Stefanie. Schöpferische Regieoper vs. klassikerzertrümmernde Dekonstruktion: Regietheater und Werkgerechtigkeit am Beispiel von W.A. Mozarts und Da Pontes Don Giovanni. Riga: Akademikerverlag.
PRESS / INTERVIEWS
Interview with Hello Austria. A hub for documentary projects on creatives, artists, filmmakers, curators and events in Austria. Jun 1, 2014.
University of Vienna: Theater- Film and Mediastudies, Philosophy.
Vienna University Economics and Business: International Business.
M.A. in Theatre, Film and Media Studies (summa cum laude)
Thesis: „Creative Director‘s Opera vs. Smashing Classics By Deconstruction.
Postmodern Opera Directing And Works Righteousness Based On The Example Of W.A. Mozart‘s And Lorenzo Da Ponte‘s Don Giovanni.“
(published in german, Akademikerverlag 2013. Riga.)
Performing Arts / Music
Trained in dance from the age of 5.
10 years of classical piano with Georg Paludnik.
Acting with Robert Putzinger (Max Reinhard Seminar).
2000-2003 Classical voice training with Robert Kreutzer.
At present: Jazz vocals with Heidi Krenn